Spring is finally on its way and it’s often the time of year that many of us get back to thinking about being more healthy, eating better and exercising again if it’s something that has fallen by the wayside over the cold and dark winter months.
The promise of Spring can make us want to get out in the sunshine for hiking, jogging, walking, and gardening.
When we get all hyped about being more active, we also want to consider what we are eating a little more closely. So, we wanted to get together some breakfast ideas that would start the day off in the right way. They are all being delicious, beautiful, healthy, and energy-inducing. Hopefully, these ideas will inspire you to start your day off the right way and have you feeling better, with more energy.
5 Healthy Breakfasts to Boost Your Energy All Day
- Waffles and Peaches
- Put a whole grain waffle on your plate.
- Top it with 1/2 cup of part-skim ricotta cheese.
- Slice a whole peach and place the slices on top of the ricotta cheese.
- (Substitute tinned peaches or 1/2 a pineapple if you can’t find fresh peaches, and make sure your fruit is in its own juice; no syrup.)
That’s it. But when plated, this combination presents beautifully. It is tasty, low in calories, and protein- and fibre-filled.
Hint: Every meal, including breakfast, is better when served and eaten outside. The weather is perfect for a pleasant morning meal al fresco.
- Green Tea Smoothie
Everyone is in such a hurry all the time. It’s a type of status symbol to be the busiest person in your circle of friends. We should slow down and “smell the roses,” as they say. But if it’s one of those mornings when your alarm clock didn’t go off, this breakfast recipe will get you on your way in a hurry.
- 1 1/2 cups green grapes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen banana slices
- 1 cup green tea
Throw all the items into the blender and mix until smooth and creamy. This recipe makes two medium servings, is fast, tasty, and will have you skipping to your vehicle. You will not only have more energy, but you will feel great about yourself, as well.
Hint: This mixture is such a lovely colour you should consider serving it in clear glass with a leaf or two of mint sitting jauntily on the rim.
- Italian Breakfast
Eggs, because they are such a fantastic source of protein, and Marsala wine, because it is delicious, are the only ingredients needed for an Italian breakfast of champions.
The blogger who writes the blog Organic Garden, tells the story of his Italian grandfather who would pour a glass of Marsala in the morning and grab his grandson’s hand for a walk to the chicken coop. His grandfather would ask him to gather one egg and bring it to him.
The author says he would hold the warm egg and then give it to his grandpa who would break it into his glass of wine. Then he would have his grandson drink the concoction. His grandfather said it would keep his grandson healthy and maintain his wellbeing. The author says it did just that.
- Breakfast BLT
- 3 slices of bacon
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices multi-grain bread
- 1/2 teaspoon lite mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lettuce
- 1 slice red onion
Fry bacon, toast bread and slice the tomato. Spread mayonnaise on bread, top with lettuce, tomato, and bacon. Serve warm.
This protein-packed breakfast will not only increase your energy levels but will also satiate your appetite and keep you from becoming ravenous at lunchtime. Who in the world can pass up a BLT?
Hint: If the sandwich is a little more than you usually eat for breakfast, take half of it with you to work and have it as a mid-morning snack or for lunch with a piece of fruit.
- Hummus Wraps with Grains and Greens
- 1 10-inch wrap
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of hummus
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- Lettuce, rocket or spinach
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Strips of sun-dried tomato
Place all ingredients onto the wrap (whole-grain tortilla) and gently roll it up.
This breakfast will provide you with lots of energy and tastes amazing. It is easily portable too so if you’re in a rush then wrap it in foil and take it with you.
Allow us to share some of the basics of how to have a breakfast that is healthy for you and will supply you with the energy you need before your next meal.
- Always choose whole grains. Remember, brown bread is not automatically healthy for you. Look for these words on your bread’s packaging – whole grain, multi-grain, 5 grams of fibre or more, and make sure the first ingredient is whole grain.
- Protein, protein, protein! Sources for protein include Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, eggs, high-fibre cereal, salmon, oatmeal and more. Do some research yourself.
- Eat your breakfast at home. You are more likely not to fall into the junk food trap if you stay away from fast-food chains.
- Blending a smoothie is fast, easy and you control the ingredients. Smoothies are the best way to increase your energy levels and feel refreshed.
And here’s what you should never do:
- Skip breakfast
- Add sugar to anything
- Keep eating larger and larger portions
- Eat processed anything
- Stop reading ingredient lists
- Add salt to everything
- Stop moving
- Stop eating fresh fruit and vegetables
- Skip your workout
You are the person who makes your choices. The sooner you begin with tiny steps, like eating the breakfasts we have suggested, the sooner you will stop being fatigued, start feeling healthy and have your spirits lifted, as well.